Friday, March 2, 2012

Catching Up

You know it was just about a year ago I began to learn how to drive using hand controls, today I am a pro. I never think about it, I just get in my car and go. One thing I do think about however. is the freedom driving continues to give me. I am so thankful for that and all of the other things I am still able to do for myself.

Today I thought I would touch upon some things that need to be caught up.

First of all, I had a cortisone shot in my right hand to see if it would alleviate the numbness I have experienced in my right finger tips as a result of carpal tunnel syndrome. Thus far, ten days have elapsed and I can't feel a discernible difference.
This is unfortunate because it leads me one step closer to having surgery on my right hand.

Naturally, I do not want to have yet another part of my body "go under the knife." Carpal Tunnel Syndrome left untreated can lead to permanent damage to the nervous system particularly in your fingertips.

Being an artist, both through my painting and now my writing, full use of both of my hands is essential in both of these activities and so many more. I have already suffered more than my share of physical losses and cannot afford further loss.

What concerns me most about this tentative and prospective surgery, is not the surgery itself, but rather the time needed for recovery. I was told it would be a minimum of 2 -3 weeks. This means I will have very limited use of my right hand for a 2-3 week time frame.

As you know my hands, arms and shoulders have carried the burden of my leg losses, assuming the responsibilities that were previously relegated to my legs.

I'm not sure how I will handle the various tasks my right hand performs on a daily basis. Transferring from my wheelchair to the bed, shower, etc. requires the use of both hands to transfer safely. I have been trying to use my hand with fingers bent and putting the weight on my bent fingers rather than on the palm/base of my hand.

As always, I take it a day at a time, having faith that solutions will appear as needed.

I have made a little more progress using the short legs. I walk using only one cane, not two. I can walk down the hallway using the walls a balance and no other "aid," in other words, no cane or walker.

I still have a ways to go, but over time I will get there. I should be pushing myself a little more, but sometimes I admit I get lazy. This laziness is always short lived, it just boils down to not feeling like pushing myself 24/7. I have given myself permission to do this as long as it does not become habitual.

I never want to lose sight of my goals and although it may take longer than anticipated, I will get there.

I have been using the new adjustable dumbbells I got as a Christmas gift from Rhonda and Peter. I have finally been able to increase the weight on several exercises. I was stuck in a rut because I had limited weights. My plan is to redo the guest room and turn it into a gym, artist studio and office.

I guess always having plans about how to make my life better and enable me not only maintain what I have, but also build upon it, is a good sign.

A sign of optimism about my future being brighter and getting stronger is something I always strive for and thus far have achieved. Thank God for that and so much more.

To leave a comment, hit the comment button below, to contact me personally, write me at my email address: glennartinc@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here: